Vijender Singh is an Indian boxer who tried his luck in boxing career from 2015. Vijender Singh is the first Indian boxer to win a medal at the Olympic Games. In the year 2019, he joined the Indian National Congress to contest the 2019 general elections from South Delhi Lok Sabha constituency. Friends, let’s get to know the interesting facts based on his life.
|Real Name/Full Name||Vijender Singh Beniwal|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet & inches- 6’ 0”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 40 inches
- Waist: 32 inches
- Biceps: 15 inches
|International Debut||2004 Summer Olympics, Athens, Greece|
|Coach/Mentor||. Jagdish Singh
. Gurbaksh Singh Sandhu
|Famous Punch||Knock-out punch|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||. Olympic Games: Bronze (Beijing, 2008)
. World Championships: Bronze (Milan, 2009)
. Commonwealth Games: Silver in welterweight category (Melbourne, 2006), Bronze (Delhi, 2010), Silver (Glasgow, 2014)
. Asian Games: Bronze (Doha, 2006), Gold (Guangzhou, 2010)
. Asian Championships: Silver (2007), Bronze (2009)
. Arjuna Award (2006)
. Padma Shri (2010)
|Date of Birth||29 October 1985|
|Age (as in 2019)||34 Years|
|Birthplace||Kaluwas, Bhiwani, Haryana, India|
|Hometown||Kaluwas, Bhiwani, Haryana, India|
|School||Happy Senior Secondary School, Bhiwani, Haryana, India|
|College/University||Vaish College Of Education, Bhiwani, Haryana, India|
|Hobbies||Listening to music, workout|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||17 May 2011|
|Children||Son- Arbir Singh
Daughter- Not Known
|Parents||Father- Mahipal Singh Beniwal (Bus Driver)
|Siblings||Brother- Manoj (Elder, Boxer)
Sister- Not Known
Vijender Singh was born on 29 October 1985 in Kaluvas, Bhiwani, Haryana, India into a Jat family. His father, Mahipal Singh Beniwal, was a bus driver on Haryana Roadways. He received his primary education from his own village Kaluvas and received secondary education from Bhiwani. He enrolled in Vaish College of Education, Bhiwani, and got a bachelor’s degree from there. Inspired by boxer Raj Kumar Sangwan, Vijender decided to become a boxer. His elder brother Manoj was also a boxer. He was trained at the Boxing Club in Bhiwani, where former national-level boxer and his coach Jagdish Singh were also trained. Vijender Singh became popular for the first time when he won the state-level competition. In 1997, he won a silver medal in his first sub-junior level competition, and later in the year 2000, at the national level, he won his first gold medal. In the year 2003, he became the All India Youth Boxing Champion.
Vijender Singh was born to Mahipal Singh Beniwal and Krishna. Vijender Singh has a brother named Manoj. Who is a boxer by profession and serves in the Indian Army? On 17 May 2011, Vijender Singh married Archana Singh. By which they have a son, named Arbir Singh.
In 2004, he participated in the welterweight division at the Athens Olympic Games, but unfortunately, he could not win a single medal and lost to Mustafa Karagolu of Turkey by a score of 20-25. At the 2006 Commonwealth Games, he edged out Neil Perkins of England in the semi-finals and won a silver medal before losing to Bongani Mawelsay of South Africa. Later, he decided to participate in the middleweight division. He won a bronze medal at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha. He gained immense popularity when he won the bronze medal after defeating Ecuador’s Carlos Gongora in the quarter-finals at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. In the year 2009, he was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the country’s highest sporting honor.
In January 2010, he was awarded the Padma Shri Award for his outstanding contribution to Indian sports. At the 2010 Commonwealth Games, he lost in the semi-finals to Anthony Ogogo of England and won the bronze medal. The same year, he won the Asian Games gold medal by defeating Abbos Atov of Uzbekistan with a score of 7–0 in the final. At the 2012 London Olympic Games, he lost in the quarterfinals to Abbos Etov of Uzbekistan with a score of 13–17. At the 2014 Commonwealth Games, he won the silver medal after losing to Antony Fowler of England in the final. On 10 October 2015, he fought his first professional bout and defeated Sunny Whiting by TKO.
- At the 2010 Commonwealth Games, Vijender was charged with a 2 point penalty for coming 20 seconds before the bout was over.
- In the year 2013, Punjab Police accused Vijender Singh that he had bought heroin from an NRI several times. But he denied the charge and after which he was given a clean chit from the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA).
As of the year 2016, his total assets are Rs 3.2 crore.
Some Known Facts About Vijender Singh
- He wanted to become a soldier in the Indian Army but later decided to go into the field of boxing.
- In 2011, he was signed for a Bollywood film, but due to his marriage, the producers refused to take him from the film, and with it, he was much less popular at the time.
- Vijender Singh was greatly praised by Rocky Balboa in the film Rocky, based on the character of American actor, Sylvester Stallone.
- Vijender Singh was seen in Salman Khan’s popular show “Dus Ka Dum” game show alongside actress Mallika Sherawat.
- Many boxers from his village Kaluvas Bhiwani Haryana have shown their stamina in the world-class boxing competition.
- Apart from Mary Kom, he is the only boxer to receive the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- In 2009, for some time, he was ranked No. 1 in the world in the Middleweight (75 kg) division by the International Boxing Association.
- He has taken over as DSP in Haryana Police under Sports Quota.
- In the year 2013, he entered the show of Bigg Boss 7 to meet wrestler Sangram Singh.
- In the year 2019, he became a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) and he was given a ticket to contest the 2019 Lok Sabha election from the South Delhi constituency.